we got our abc license

Today in the mail I received our Type 23 license (Small Beer Manufacturer) from CA ABC (Alcohol Beverage Control). Now we await the federal license from the TTB.

My ABC experience entailed 1) submit the application in person, 2) place the notice on the window for 30 days, and 3) wait. I barely heard from the ABC agent. The only time she called was to say that she finally looked at the application and that the legal department needs to see if there will be any operating conditions placed on us. I heard nothing back until receiving the license today in the mail.

update: BOE and plan check.

Last week, I received in the mail a packet from the California Board of Equalization (BOE) for an excise tax permit. They received my information from my ABC application for a Type 23 alcohol license. I need to complete this simple form and mail it in and also apply for a seller's permit (something I tried to do earlier with no success). Once the BOE receives both, they will check this off with the ABC for my license.

Today, I was notified by the architect that the corrections for the plan check came in and things are looking good. We were able to work with the city planning dept to have the plans submitted concurrently with the CUP paperwork so we didn't need to wait for the CUP to be approved first before submitting for a plan check.

*Note: Some might be wondering why I didn't go with the plan check for the brewery first and then the CUP for the tasting room -- which should save some time by being able to open sooner than later with the associated delays in the CUP process. For me it was important to have a tasting room; I did not want to be locked into a place where I was not able to have a tasting room. So I worked with my broker and the owner to come with a good scenario where I could get out of the lease if the CUP did not go through.


update: lease, abc, seller's permit

Today, I began the week trying to be productive by signing the lease for a property: 20311 S. Western Ave., Torrance, CA 90266. The lease does not start until the beginning of next month and we do have an out clause in case our Conditional Use Permit does not go through. This week I need to look for liability insurance before beginning my lease.

My wife and I also went to the CA Board of Equalization to get a Seller's Permit. Howver, after waiting for 1.5 hours to see someone we were told that we would not be able to get a seller's permit until we plan on being in operation within 30 days. It would have been nice to put that information in its application packet which includes the application and instructions and FAQs. Oh well! At least we know that we could go down and potentially receive the permit the same day. And at least I was able to spend quality time with my wife people watching... Angelenos are an intereting people group...

I also went to the ABC office to get an application for my Type 23 license which is for a small beer manufacturer. I hope to submit the application next week. But it does consist of 22+ pages!

This week I also hope to place my order for my brewing equipment. If not, next week for sure!